Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I am a science teacher...


...because I love science.



I like labs. I always learned more when I was actually able to see and do, more so than just lecture. So I decided we would do a lab. I got all the supplies I needed from the Science Resource Center a week ago. I made copies of the lab (and if you are a teacher then you know how precious copies are) and I made an answer sheet for each student. I got to school early and set up the lab. I cracked eggs to get egg whites, melted butter, cut up potatoes (just to name a few), and I got all the chemicals ready. I put each class into lab groups, had a student number my tables, and put away my projector and speaker so that I could use my cart.

They were to take some tests tubes and fill them with various food products, some being solid and some being a liquid. They would then put a chemical and see the reaction between the chemical and the food and this would show what was in the food.

Simple right? WRONG!!!!

1.) Apparently my students don't know how to read.
2.) Nor do they know what 'you are doing two parts' means.
3.)They also didnt think that wearing goggles was cool so they didn't.
4.) They thought it would be funny to throw potato, spinach and tuna in the sink in stead of in the trash can.
5.) They also thought, hey why dont we put the back of a stool in the sink, clog it up, then turn the water on so that we almost fill the sink up.
6.) Hanging up an apron was obviously too big of a task for them comprehend.
7.) As was putting their goggles back where they came from.
8.) Instead of cleaning their test tubes out they thought it would be better to just put them in the sink.
9.) That is, for the ones that they didn't break.
10.) And watching chemical reactions wasn't 'explosive' enough for them.

Will we do a lab again? Nope.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment